Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Laughing thru my tears

I have to say, in all honesty, that I didn't see this one coming. I probably should have, but I didn't. I thought the only worry I would have this week would be whether or not our phone would ring on Friday morning. I was all concerned with whether or not we would spend the weekend celebrating, or spend it knowing that it was our last weekend "without her". Silly me!

Instead, a "pandemic" flu has hit the scene. Certain agencies (none in the U.S., so far) have told their families that the CCAA is putting a 20 to 30 day hold on referrals and travel approvals due to the swine flu outbreak. Our agency (who I called today) is saying that they have not been informed of that as of yet. Therefore, I don't know what effect, if any, this will have on us. It is quite possible that is could cause a delay. It's happened before with the SARS epidemic.

It's almost funny to think that we are (or were) days away from receiving the call we have waited so long to receive and then......A PANDEMIC FLU????? REALLY????? A FLU???? FROM PIGS???? Are you freaking kidding me?!

As always, I'm grateful beyond words for my friends and family who are always there to offer their support and encouragement. I love you all and I hope I have better news to report tomorrow.

UPDATE: Our agency just sent an email with the following information. It's not very helpful in the sense that it doesn't really tell us whether or not the CCAA will be holding the next batch of referrals or travel approvals. I think we will have to wait until Monday (or even later) to find out if that is going to happen. I don't think the CCAA has made an official decision on it, as of yet. Hopefully, no news is good news. We'll have to WAIT and see.

Children’s Hope will continue sending families to China to complete their adoption as long as China and the CDC allow us to do so. Any family that does not wish to travel at this time due to the Swine Flu can delay their travel to China to complete their adoption until they feel it is safe to travel.

12 comments:

S.Wise said...

It was an exhausting day yesterday watching the rumors.... awful actually. The statement the CCAA just put out is better than what was "flying around" yesterday. It's still a little confusing to me though. Hang in there Mary. It looks like you are still on schedule for a referral!!! :) Big Hug.

Kayce said...

You have been on my mind ALL day and night! Like Stephanie said, yesterday was exhausting! I found out at work...JOY!!! I was a mess for the rest of the day. I am praying that this "bump" will be a VERY small one. Hugs Mary...Hugs!

My crazy crazy life said...

Mary, one more thing to try and bring you to your knees, but I know you, you will stand tall and prevail...hang in there, you are much tougher than you will ever know.

My crazy crazy life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S.Wise said...

Ok. I am getting whiplash reading RQ. I'm off the boards for today... enough drama for this wannabe mamma.

Leigh said...

When I read RQ yesterday morning I knew things didn't look good:( To be this close and to have this happen must be heart wrenching!I wish there was something I could do or say... I'm thinking of you constantly! Hang in there.

XOXO

Jenifer (and_she_makes_four) said...

Mary,

Hey there, I keep checking your blogs for update and my heart sank when I read this. Just know, your little sweet girl will be in your arms soon and this will all be the past.

I can't wait to meet her and if you need baby clothes or girly stuff, please feel free to ask me, I have it all.

Lots of love,

Jenifer Weeter-Ragan

Mardi said...

I know Mary!! (It was so good talking to you today by the way) What can we say, we will endure! We are made of steel us March LIDers! ;)

Suz said...

I still can't believe this whole fiasco. Hang in there, easier said than done though I am sure....

Anonymous said...

My daughter told me recently it is a "theme" - you have all waited for over 3 years, why should this final phase be any different - she was joking and some day all the March LIDers will laugh at this - for now it really is heart wrenching. And for that I truly feel for all of you (us!). On another note, Mardi's Lauren was born under the Chinese sign of the pig. Do you suppose there is a connection somehow? Just a thought. Anyway, I wanted to tell you I am thinking of you as I know how extremely important these days are. I also know that very soon you will see your baby girl's face and it will be worth every minute of the wait. Sherry/Mardi's Mom

Hal Anderson said...

Hi, Mary!

I had to laugh, too. It's like Fate's smiling at you and having one last little poke at your expense.

I travelled to Hong Kong (and Toronto) during the SARS epidemic and they were really good and discrete at identifying and separating individuals with an elevated temperature, so it won't be too much of a hassle once you're on that plane!

Lots of love from all four of us-

Harald

Terri said...

I thought last year was the year of the pig.
Terri