Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A light at the end of the tunnel


While I was working on my paperwork, my girlfriend Cheri told me that a friend of ours from high school, Megan Mayer, was also adopting from China. Cheri and I have known each other since 5th grade. She has two little girls (what's funny is at the time she and I were talking about Megan's adoption, Cheri was pregnant with her second child who was born in May 2006). Anyway, I was deep in paperwork and wishing I had someone to talk to, preferably someone I knew, who had been through this. Megan was the answer to my wish! Cheri gave me her number and I called her right away.

Megan had been "logged in" since May 2005 and was just on the heels of receiving her referral when I first contacted her. We talked about my paperwork, her wait and so on. Our documents had left for China in February...by the end of that same month, after a 10 month wait, Megan and her husband Scott received their referral!!! I was over the moon with excitement for them. In March I called to tell her that we had been logged in. Then, in April, Megan and Scott traveled to China and brought home little Maya who was just barely 10 months old. Megan has been a source of constant support and encouragement. Maya has been my "little light". That's what I call her. When I see her, I also see "the light at the end of the tunnel". She is such an amazing little girl. I have included one of her referral photos, a picture of her and her mom in China, and a more recent picture. Isn't she such a doll?!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you have a "real" little girl to remind you of the joy that lays ahead for you,
Doug and the boys. Of course, when I logged into the blog I screamed because for some unexplainable reason, I thought that referral picture might just be our little one and it took about 1/2 a second the blood to return to my brain and to realize that was just a huge bunch of wishfull thinking (if you can even call it that). Maya is just beautiful. I wish I could have seen her when she first came home, so I would have an even better mental picture of what the age your daughter will be when she gets home.