Monday, November 26, 2007

Our 4 day weekend!!

The four day, "Thanksgiving Day weekend" just ended. For weeks now, Doug and the boys have been planning how we were going to spend it. I thought, for sure, they were going to get up at 3 in the morning on "black Friday" to shop for electronic gadgets that we don't need. Doug had talked it up so much, the boys actually had a "black Friday" shopping list going. But, in the end, their big plans to build a skateboard ramp in the backyard won out. So, on Wednesday night, Doug and Jacob headed to Home Depot and loaded up on all the needed supplies. With the help of their Uncle Tim, they started building their ramp first thing Thursday morning. I can't believe how hard Jacob and Benjamin worked. They never let up. Doug had them doing everything right along side of him. Jacob actually used a skill saw and a power drill (I couldn't watch). They worked on the ramp for three solid days. Everyone took Sunday off. It ended up being a really fun weekend. Lots of friends and family stopped by to check on the progress and ride on the ramp. At night we had bon fires in the backyard, relaxed in the jacuzzi, ordered pizza and watched movies.

I can't say I was much help with the ramp. It was definitely a boy thing! I did make a few runs to Home Depot, made sure we had plenty of food and drinks for the hard workers and took pictures...stuff like that. As is always the case, these days, I spent a lot of time imagining this very same weekend with our little sugarplum running around. I "missed" her a lot this weekend. I even felt a little guilt because I never got around to working on her crib bedding, which I said I would do. Anyway, despite the fun we had and the joy it brings me to see Doug, Jacob and Benjamin having so much fun together, I walked around with that small pain in my heart that seems to never go away. That constant reminder that something is missing...and, as I've done so many times before I prayed that by this time next year we would have her with us.I told the boys that next year instead of building a skateboard ramp, they will be assembling their sister's swing set!!! I hope, I hope, I hope.....

6 comments:

A Yi Norah said...

I can see it now...the skate board ramp and right next to it a play house for our little Sugar Plum. The boys can build it next year. She can watch them skate out the little windows and they can have a tea party with her when they get thirsty.
Taylor had a blast on the ramp. Doug is a pretty cool Dad!

Mardi said...

Wow! Now thats a weekend project! :)

Cecilia Anderson said...

This is so rad! What a nice way to work together for a weekend. And I'm jealous of the warm weather you have there!

Harald

Anonymous said...

Jacob looks like a pro. Im so sorry to hear that during such a fun family weekend, you felt such a great emptiness. It's fun to think of how much your life will change when she gets here and how much your boys will love doing things for her. They are great, patient, and understanding older cousins to Axl. I can only imagine what they will be like with their princess.

Margaret said...

What an awesome ramp! Doug is such a cool Dad. Your house will certainly be the most fun place for all the neighborhood kids to hang out now!

Margaret

Margaret said...

What an awesome ramp! Doug is such a cool Dad. Your house will certainly be the most fun place for all the neighborhood kids to hang out now!

Margaret